Digital Engagement for Student Organizations
Updated March 19, 2020
This is an unprecedented time for all of us, and we hope you have been able to find normalcy where possible during this time. The transition to online instruction and the cancellation of student activities for the remainder of the semester include many events you have been looking forward to in celebration and culmination of the year. We recognize there may be concerns about how to move forward and continue to connect within the communities of your student organizations while keeping in mind good practices of social distancing.
To address questions that may arise as we navigate the remainder of the semester, we have compiled guidance for student organizations and will continue to keep information and resources updated.
- Map out upcoming organization activities for the rest of this semester (meetings, elections, interviews, programs) with your organization leadership and advisors. Begin working to develop contingency plans for upcoming programs and events that might be impacted.
- Fundraising activities which have been approved for the remainder of the spring semester have been canceled. Fundraisers for the 2020-21 academic year can be submitted on the Involvement Network using this form.
- Campus Reservations, Events & Technical Services (CRETS) is currently working on canceling all student organization events. At this time, there is no need to email CRETS to cancel activities; they will be done for you. In addition, there will be no charges associated for those canceled events. All payments for past due invoices from events prior to Spring Break are on hold. When the University returns to normal business and operating functions, CRETS will return to sending out invoices and will be available to take payments from events pre-Spring Break. Please note that are no late fees and CRETS will work with your organization to get your invoices paid before you re-register your organization for next school season. If you have additional questions, please feel free to send their office an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will respond to you as soon as we can.
- Review your organization’s attendance/participation policies. Set appropriate expectations and respect individual decisions regarding their specific situations.
- If you choose to host organizational meetings, use Zoom (free for UGA students, faculty, and staff) to hold meetings rather than meeting in person to ensure compliance with CDC recommendations regarding social distancing.
- There is a screen-sharing feature that allows PowerPoint slides or documents to be displayed and discussed, as well as a recording option if content would like to be recorded in advance and distributed to organization members.
- Zoom can assist with the hosting of full organization meetings, committee meetings, interviews, one-on-one conversations, virtual hangouts, and more.
- Zoom Resources:
- Utilize the Involvement Network to manage organization processes digitally. If you're new to managing your organization in the Involvement Network, you can review this pre-recorded Introduction Training. You may also find it beneficial to review these guides:
- Officer Transition resources can be found on our website by visiting https://involvement.uga.edu/studentorg/resources.
- Re-register your organization for the 2020-21 academic year by following the directions outlined here: https://involvement.uga.edu/studentorg/re-register. Registering early will ensure that your organization is able to make reservations for the fall semester when they become available this summer. The re-registration submission deadline has been extended to May 31, 2020.
- Need more assistance with completing registration, attend one of our virtual work sessions. See the schedule below.
- The Student Involvement listserv will continue to be sent and you can submit announcements for applications on the Involvement Network using this form.
The Center for Student Activities and Involvement is here to support you and your student organization. If you have questions, you can contact us at email@example.com.